HISTORY OF INDIAN MEDICAL ASSOCIATION IN MADHYA PRADESH
The History of Medical Association in Madhya Pradesh starts even before the start of Indian Medical Association. About 85 years ago on 25th December 1921, Medical Practitioners of Jabalpur, Dr. S. N. Barat, Dr. B.B. Chatterjee, Dr. K. L. Bhave, Dr. S.C. Belapurkar, Dr. T. B. Sarwate, Dr. P. V. Misra and Dr. G. N.Harshe, the Sapta Rishis on the horizon of Medical Profession of the time were chit chatting and Dr. S. N. Barat proposed the formation of Medical Association and thus the Association was born on the auspicious day 25th December 1921 to lead the Medical Professionals for ever. In the beginning the meeting used to be held at the Residence of the members in rotation, where matters of clinical importance were discussed. Dr. L. N. Choudhary and Dr. T. George De’Silva joining the Association three years later brought some life in the Association. Late Dr. S. N. Barat and Late Dr. B. B. Chatterjee were the founder President and Secretary of the Association.
In the year 1928 the Indian Medical Association was founded and this Association readily affiliated itself to it. Dr. De’Silva, Dr. K. L. Bave and Dr. T. B. Sarwate were the first Delegates from M.P. for the All India conference at Calcutta in 1931. Thus years passed off and the Association flourished day by day. Dr. George De’Silva became the All India President in 1938 and brought honor to the Association. In the year 1948 while celebrating the Silver Jubilee of the JABALPUR MEDICAL ASSOCIATION under the President ship of Late Dr. G. G. Subhedar who conceived the idea of formation of State Medical Association affiliated to the All India Medical Association. Dr. Jivraj Mehta who was the Chief Guest to inaugurate the function helped a lot to affiliate it to the Central Body of Indian Medical Association. An ad-hoc body was formed with Dr. G. De’Silva as the President. Thus the Association at Jabalpur was the first to initiate the formation of the State branch. The first State Medical Conference was held in the premises of Hitkarni High School and was presided by Dr. Cholkar. The office was then shifted to Nagpur.